Ways High School Students Can Help Pay For College
- Take AP(Advanced Placement) courses in high school. Taking five AP courses and scoring well on exams, can help you earn college credit and the possibility of graduating from college early. Benefits of graduating a semester early- job market not as competitive.
- Limit the number of colleges to which you apply, keep it to 3-5 colleges. College applications fees average between $25-$60. By limiting your list of colleges could save several hundred dollars.
- If you don’t know what you want to study, consider starting at Community College. Community Colleges are good source for taking general education courses and have excellent University Transfer program with many Four Year Universities.
- Live in dorm instead of apartment. Dorm living includes all utilities/expenses and provide an excellent opportunity to build lasting friendships.
- Buying used books can trim semester expenses. Try private bookstores, located off campus, rather than purchasing at campus bookstore. To save more money, sell back books that aren’t in your major and that you will not use in the future. In return, take the money you receive for selling books to purchase next semester’s books.
- Always take a full load of classes. Figure out how many hours are required to graduate. Divide that number by 8 semesters. Take at least that number of hours every semester, in order to graduate on time. Usually the range is 15-17 hours per semester.